Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dressing the Maids

Remember when you were a little girl (ladies, I'm talking to you, obviously) and you would spend hours either dressing up your dolls in pretty dresses or driving your mother crazy by putting on every dress in your closet (that was me)? Ah, those were the good old days.

Flash forward about 25 years and here I am still playing dress up. But this time I have life-sized dolls! I have been scouring the internet for dresses for my bridesmaids since I bought my dress back in November. My dress is a beautiful champagne Maggie Sotterro. It's form fitted with a trumpet skirt and an asymmetrical bodice. Clearly, I can't post a picture of the dress for fear of Lobster finding it. Sorry! Anyhoo, I love the warmth of the champagne color of my dress and I wanted to stick to an equally warm, elegant tone for my bridesmaids. Almost immediately I knew that eggplant purple (or jewel-toned purple) was the color I wanted them in. I also wanted to mirror the asymmetrical shape of the bodice in their dresses if I could.

With that in mind I continued my internet quest to find the perfect dress. Here are a couple of the short dresses that I liked:

For a while I couldn't decide whether I wanted them in short or long dresses. I slept on the decision for a couple of weeks and then came to the realization that I really wanted them in an elegant long dress. Thus, these were the two dresses I decided were my top picks:


Very similar, I know. The color of the one on top is perfect, but I love the style of the one on the bottom a little better. Luckily they are both made by the same designer, Mori Lee, so hopefully we'll be able to order the one on the bottom in the purple color. The best part is that they are not that expensive (compared to other bridesmaid dresses, that is.)

What do you think? Me and a couple of my girls will be going to try on the dresses sometime within the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to a fun girls' day playing real life dress up!

5 comments:

  1. Loves it! That color is so pretty and I love the last dress! Good luck! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty color! I love Mori Lee dresses - their measurements are pretty dead on. I've worn them three times for weddings. That last dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there (again), glad you started this wedding blog since I just got engaged too :)
    Purple is my favorite color for bridesmaids too. I love the bottom one, I even love that color, although I know you want purple. I'm debating between long and short too, but I am pretty sure I don't want my dresses to match, which makes it much more difficult. Anyway good dresses! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally not surprised you are using purple at all!! :)

    I love the last dress, I'm sure it will be gorgeous! I love long dresses - short ones are cute, but for an evening wedding they almost seem too casual??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just glad you have good taste. hehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails