Friday, February 5, 2010

Hey, Mr. DJ, Put A Record On...

Huzzah! Another big TO DO out of the way! This week Lobster and I made a joint effort to find ourselves a good, but affordable, DJ. This was no easy task. But we divided and conquered! Basically, I did all the research (I'm good at that) by finding the best rated DJs in the DFW area on WeddingWire and then gathering more information from the Star Telegram Bridal Show last weekend and busted out my super sleuthing google skills to find out more about the candidates. I had the pleasure of meeting one guy from DJ Connection Dallas at the bridal show who was very informative and had a great personality. And he quoted me a great price. I liked him immediately. But, being me, I still had to research the snot out of every other candidate I found. I really make a lot of work for myself, don't I? Don't answer that.

Anyhoodle, I fired off about a dozen email inquiries and most of those that came back were a bit disappointing. They were all so flipping expensive! $1,500 for a DJ??!! Seriously?? I had budgeted $600. . . because I'm naive and have no idea what anything costs. I quickly realized we weren't going to find a good DJ for that amount (key word being "good"). But I was determined not to spend a whopping $1,500 either. 

So we continued our email inquiries, but in the meantime, Lobster started making phone calls. One of the calls he made was to the DJ Connection dude I met at the bridal show. They really hit it off (and they even offered to train Lobster to be a DJ, which is an entirely different post). They had really good ratings on WeddingWire and they seemed professional and entertaining but not in a cheesy way (which was a must for us). AND they offered us a price that was WAY closer to what I had originally budgeted. Not spot on, but close enough for comfort.

After a couple of days of discussing the pros and cons, Lobster finally called them back and booked them. Woo! So now we have our DJ and I'm really excited. A little nervous because you never know what you're going to get with a DJ, but we did the best we could with the information we had. I guess that's all you can do, right?

Book a DJ...CHECK!

3 comments:

  1. yay! seeing as you've gotten a dj booked this isn't really advice anymore.. but i think the key to a great dj is to have an EXTREMELY strict play/do no play list. that's what i did and our dance floor was packed all night. the worst is when a dj busts out something completely random and throws the whole thing off... but, i'm sure you already know that... hehe :)

    ps. i LOVE your wedding blog! 2 years later and i'm still going through wedding planning withdrawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Skinny - you need a strict "do not play" list. For my sister's wedding I basically gave the guy a bunch of cds of the songs we wanted played and when and in what order because you know what, I'm kind of a control freak like that. And I definitely threatened his manhood if I heard the chicken dance or hokey pokey.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails